For 6-8 persons
– 100g flour
– 125g powdered sugar
– 5 eggs
– 1 vanilla bean
– 250 ml milk
– 3 egg yolks
– 30g wheat flour
– 50g powdered sugar
– 2 egg whites
– 100g of sugar
1. Preparing the cream :
– Start by heating the milk in a saucepan.
– Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds.
– Add the pod and seeds to the milk and bring to be boil.
– Meanwhile, mix the sugar with the egg yolks until the mixture turns white.
– Add cornstarch and stir again.
– Remove the vanilla pod from the milk and pour it over the egg yolk, sugar and cornstarch mixture. Now thoroughly whisk it all together
– Return the mixture to the pan and let the cream thicken over low heat while stirring constantly.
Once the cream has thickened, let it cool down and place the cream in the refrigerator.
2. Biscuit Preparation :
Preheat oven to 180 degrees (C).
– Begin by separating egg yolks from whites. Put the egg whites in a cool place.
– In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with 100 g of powdered sugar. Continue beating until the mixture turns white.
– Add the flour to the mixture while continuing to whisk vigorously. The dough must be smooth and lump-free.
– In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
– Once the egg whites are set in snow, pour 25 g of sugar powder and continue to beat the mixture.
– Then mix the two preparations, gradually incorporating the egg whites in the egg yolks mixture.
– Cover your baking sheet with stick proof paper and pour in the rolled cookie dough.
– Bake for 12 minutes at 180 degrees.
– Unmold the biscuit and place it on a damp cloth.
– Spread vanilla custard on top and roll the biscuit onto itself to form a log shape.
3. Preparation of the meringue:
– Using a mixer, beat the egg whites in the snow, adding 100g of white sugar in small increments.
– Using a spatula, decorate your rolled meringue biscuit to make it look like a log under the snow.
Recipe cooked by Amélie de Foodvisor
Photo © Le tablier Gourmet