Regular physical activity can yield many health benefits. Physical activity increases muscle strength and endurance and also reduces the risk of developing chronic diseases like obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, certain cancers and depression.
WHAT IS PHYSICAL ACTIVITY?
According to the WHO (World Health Organization), physical activity is defined as any movement produced by muscles, leading to an increase in energy expenditure.
Physical activities are grouped together:
– Leisure activities: walking, swimming, cycling, running, dancing, gymnastics, golf,
tai chi, yoga…
– Domestic activities: walking, climbing stairs, DIY, gardening, housework, cleaning, shopping, standing from a seated position…
– Professional activities: carrying loads, walking, works…
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF BEING PHYSICALLY ACTIVE
1. Physical activity helps to maintain joints.
Synovial fluid lubricates the joints and nourishes the cartilage. Physical activity stimulates the production of this fluid.
2. Physical activity increases muscle volume and strength.
3. Physical activity promotes good bowel movements and reduces the risk of constipation.
4. Physical activity helps prevent many diseases and such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.
5. Physical activity helps fight hypertension by sustaining the vascular and venous networks.
6. Regular physical activity reduces stress. During and after exercise, our body produces hormones called endorphins, which are responsible for the post-workout feeling of wellness.
7. Physical activity reduces depression.
8. Physical activity improves cardiorespiratory capacity.
9. Regular physical activity helps maintain weight loss.
10. Physical activity is a long-term way of improving one’s self-image.
To stay fit, integrate one or more physical activities into your daily routine 😉
Article written by Amélie Vincent, dietitian.