Cooking time : 40 minutes
Carrot is an excellent source of beta carotene. It has many health benefits. It slows down the aging of the skin, promotes healing, protects against cancers and cardiovascular diseases, and has a beneficial effect on cataract.
Finally, it is very low in calories. It brings only 36 kcal per 100g.
– 4 tbs. olive oil, divided
– 1 small onion, halved and diced (1 cup)
– ½ small fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced (½ cup)
– 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
– 11/2 lb. carrots, sliced.
– 3 cups
– 3 cups fresh orange juice
– ½ cup coconut milk
PREPARATION STEPS :
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, fennel, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until softened. Add carrots, and cook 5 minutes, lowering heat (if necessary) to prevent browning.
2. Add broth (or water) and orange juice, and simmer soup 10 minutes, or until carrots are just tender. Add coconut milk, season with salt and pepper, if desired, and simmer 10 minutes more.
3. Transfer soup to blender, and process until satiny smooth. Serve hot or cold, drizzled with remaining 2 Tbs. oil.